Old 17-07-2008, 10:21 PM posted to rec.gardens
Zootal[_3_] Zootal[_3_] is offline

Default Steer compost in garden

"Billy" wrote in message
In article ,
"Zootal" wrote:

There is a bark place down the road that sells mushroom compost and steer
compost. Is this stuff good for the garden? Can I use it like compost and
heap it on the ground around plants and trees?

Manure should be at least six months old before use. By mushroom
compost, do you mean the medium that the mushrooms grow in? If so, that
is probably horse manure and was sterilized before it was used for
mushrooms (good to go). These are fertilizers, if I read you properly, a
source of nitrogen for the plants, not what gardeners usually think of
as mulch, which is usually worm food.

Like mulch, leave six foot radius around the tree clear, if you plan to
feed them. Most plants could do well with a side dressing about now.

PS - it's definitely not mulch. This is plain old somewhat aged cow poop.