Old 18-07-2008, 02:37 AM posted to rec.gardens
zxcvbob zxcvbob is offline

Default Okra question

Zootal wrote:
Due to a long cold wet spring and early summer (no global warming here!), I
started my okra in 4 inch deep pots, and I'm just now ready to put them out.
I understand okra does not transplant well. I can transplant them from the
pots with the entire dirt ball intact and undamaged, but am I correct in
assuming that I should not break apart the dirt balls that have two plants
in the same pot? How sensitive is okra to transplanting? Is it so sensitive
that I'm not likely to suceed even if I can put the dirtball in the soil
undisturbed?

My mom always transplants her okra because she says it causes them to
branch and to do better. I'm not so sure, but she *does* transplant
them successfully.

If there are 2 seedlings in one pot, just pinch one of them off and
plant the other one with the roots as undisturbed as possible.

Bob