Old 18-07-2008, 03:04 AM posted to rec.gardens
FarmI FarmI is offline

Default Steer compost in garden

"Billy" wrote in message
"Zootal" wrote:

There is a bark place down the road that sells mushroom compost and steer
compost. Is this stuff good for the garden? Can I use it like compost and
heap it on the ground around plants and trees?

Manure should be at least six months old before use.

I disagree strongly with this. I use manure pretty fresh and always have.
It just depends on where you use it.

I think that the taboos about manure stem from old books (mostly from
Europe) which all talk about "aged manure". I suspect that most people
believe that without ever having tried it really fresh.