Old 18-07-2008, 08:12 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Nick Maclaren Nick Maclaren is offline

Default fruit acidity

In article ,
Anne Welsh Jackson writes:
| Brian Mitchell wrote:
|
| Is there any way of reducing the acidity of fruit other than by
| smothering it with pounds of sugar? I'm wondering if there's any cooking
| method or other treatment available to the ordinary person. I like the
| very tart fruits like gooseberries, blackcurrant and rhubarb (nominal
| fruit) for desserts and jams but worry about the amounts of sugar I take
| in.
|
| A couple of leaves of Sweet Cicely (Myrrhus odoratus) will cut sown
| the need for so much sugar, reputedly.

As has been posted, yes, it will. But it will also add a fairly
strong aniseed flavour, which taints most dishes. Angelica will
do the same, and is generally less obtrusive, though it still adds
a distinctive flavour. And then there is liquorice and numerous
other such plants - but almost all have a strong flavour as well
as sweetening effect.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.