Old 18-07-2008, 11:16 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
George.com George.com is offline

Default vegetable patch (borders)

"Joe Shmoe" wrote in message

Hi folks.

I have quite a large garden and would like to dedicate a portion of it
into growing my own veg.

I have at least 6m x 6m to spare, so was thinking about 4 raised beds,
each about 2meteres square.

I'm not sure how to make the rasied beds. I like the look of railways
sleepers (new untreated ones, obviously) but I don't think I could
afford the £400 to buy them.

Does anyone have any ideas how I can make these raised beds cheaper, or
perhaps I should be looking at leavign the ground level, and just
marking the beds out with wood somehow ?

Any ideas/advise would be great!

old painting.scaffold planks if you can hold of them are good.
Painters/scaffolders will scrap old boards from time to time & likely give
them away free. 2x10 inch. I have used both old planks and garden sleepers.

rob

-- Posted on news://freenews.netfront.net - Complaints to --