Old 18-07-2008, 06:30 PM
dubliner10 dubliner10 is offline
Registered User

Smile Old lawn and planning to returf...please help..

Hi,

Can I start by apologising if this is the 100,000 time the following question has been asked but I am struggling to get a decent answer (from my in laws!)

We have a v.old lawn (60 years), and it is showing its age. Added to that the soil is very heavy clay, and the drainage is a nightmare.

We plan to dig a soakaway, and lay the special drainage 'pipes' to drain the worst areas. Once we have done this we plan to top the ground with topsoil and horicultural grit to help the drainage.

My question is - do I have to completely 'lift' the old lawn or can I :

a) leave it as is and lay topsoil + grit over it

b) rotovate it and lay topsoil + grit over it.

Sorry to be a pain

dubliner.