Old 18-07-2008, 09:05 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
chris thame chris thame is offline

Default Marrows!

On Thu, 17 Jul 2008 18:02:47 +0100, K wrote:

chris thame writes
Whats going on? The marrows form with a nice little yellow flower at
the end and then they start to go yellow and rot.
I havent managed to keep one yet - theyve all gone
They are not laying on wet soil, in fact they are pointing upwards at
least 6 inches away from the soil
Any suggestions?

Not being fertilised?
Try and pollinating by taking a male flower (no little marrow behind it)
and sticking the business end into a female flower (the one with the
little marrow behind it).

Why didnt I think of that! It makes sense now. Thanks for that.
Just out of interest, I havent seen many bees around the Essex area -
whats happened to them?