Old 19-07-2008, 03:49 PM posted to rec.gardens,alt.agriculture.fruit,sci.agriculture.fruit,rec.gardens.edible
Tom J Tom J is offline

Default Asian pear question

wrote:
In article ,
sherwindu wrote:

JS wrote:

I have few asian pear trees on my backyard (Hosui and 20th
century).According the information I found on the internet, the
harvest time for the fruits is mid-August,Does this mean they
become totally ripened at that time? or it is time to pick them
up, and bring insidethe house - to prevent insect damage ? I have
noticed last year that insects destroyed several fruits. Does
this
mean I picked them too latein the season? Thanks in advance,
JIMMY

Jimmy,

Pears are a fruit that should be rippened off the tree. After they
start to feel a bit soft at the stem, take them inside and let them
ripen off the tree.

Asian pears, unlike European pears, are crisp when ripe and don't
need
to be ripened off the tree like European pears.

Correct. If you wait for an Asian pear to feel soft at the stem, you
will never get pears that are ready to eat!! If they get soft, they
are rotten.

Tom J