Old 20-07-2008, 12:10 AM posted to rec.gardens
kate kate is offline

Default Okra question

Dan L. wrote:
In article ,
"Zootal" wrote:

I love okra, I never had a problem in the past transplanting okra. I
stopped growing them in Michigan. I found that they do not grow well
below 80 degrees. Also I found that I needed at least a dozen plants
just to have one tiny meal each week. I may try again in the future
except in raised beds with row covers that keep the soil and plants
warmer.

Enjoy Life ... Dan

--

In the past, I've had the same problem. Our warm season does not last very
long, and even in July our average temps are in the upper 70s or lower 80s.

Have you grown more then one in the same pot, and then seperated them out
when transplanting?

I have never grown okra in the same pot. I am not sure about the roots
being pulled apart is good for the plants. Most people just clip one off.

I have transplanted two tomato plants (one cherry and one beefsteak)
from one 5 inch pot directly into the ground (an experiment). It was
crowded but in the end turned out ok.

Okra is a much smaller plant than a tomato plant. Try planting the two
together. Let it grow, see what happens. If those are your only two okra
plants, you might get one side dish to eat from the two plants for the
entire season.

Enjoy Life ... Dan

Okra is a smaller plant? Not in Nashville. In a good year they grow to
10 feet, digging them up is a big effort and their stems are the size of
a small tree. It takes forever to compost them. They're a beautiful
plant though - lovely flowers and every insect in the garden seems to
enjoy them - I can't eat okra but I miss growing it. (I don't miss
digging up the plants after the frost.)

I'm pretty sure Johnny's has a northern variety.

Peace,

Kate