Old 19-07-2008, 07:54 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Bob Hobden Bob Hobden is offline

Default Allotments

"Pete C" wrote ...
Is there a recognised standard size? If so, what.........in feet please.
Ta

Allotments are measured in square Rods, and a Rod is 5.5 yards or 16.5 feet
(approx 5 metres).
As Helen has said they are usually 10 sq. Rods but most Councils rent out
half or even quarter plots. Most allotment sites are not perfectly square so
there are always some odd shaped and sized plots available. Ask.
We used to have 15 sq rods but on the new site we have now been told ours is
7.5 sq Rods which is proving adequate with only one path down the middle and
being careful about not wasting space.

--
Regards
Bob Hobden