Old 08-04-2003, 12:08 AM
Sue C

Default Which plants for the shade?

The right-hand side (north-east facing) of my back garden is always in
shade. I have put in a very small pond, with a layer of earth then gravel
at the bottom. Around this I have ferns, bluebells, marsh marigold, grape
hyacinth ... daffodils are blooming too.
Fatsia japonica is growing well, and periwinkle; I also planted a small
cutting of lamium since I saw it growing well in shade ... it has romped
away, and is probably the kind of plant that everyone will warn you against.
However, although I will thin it out next week it has done a great job of
offering ground cover. Bergenia is doing well - I didn't think much of
bergenia before having this garden, but I appreciate it now. Geraniums,
hellebores, lily of the valley (lovely!) and solomon's seal.
I've also got a tayberry on the north-east facing brick wall ... it's early
days yet, but I had 4 berries last year.