Old 20-07-2008, 12:37 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
[email protected] helene@urbed.coop is offline

Default ground control

On 19 Jul, 23:30, "Terry" wrote:
Hi my son as a new garden and is having trouble with weeds and couch grass.
We have tried all sorts of weed killers and even tried sodium chlorate, the
weeds still come through.Thinking about some black plastic and then covering
it with an old carpet he has to get rid of, is this the correct way round or
should it be carpet and then black plastic??
Thanks for any help

Devide the garden, cover with plastic one bit, another bit with
carpet. The rest, get down there and remove the weeds by hand. If you
cover too much, water won't get through - you'll end up with very dry
hard soil, which will kill weeds, perhaps some of them, but also lots
of natural habitats. You will never get rid of all weeds for ever.
They'll always come back. Identify the weeds, you'll then be able to
get rid of them by hand if you know when they set seeds and why they
are there. Progress slowly so that insects will have a chance to move
to another side of your garden, remove stones, plant, sow, turn, dig,
manure ... In no time you'll have done the whole garden. It's a way of
life, a hobby, a time to enjoy the outdoors. It shouldn't be a battle
field )