Old 20-07-2008, 12:56 PM posted to rec.gardens
enigma enigma is offline

Default Ground Cover

Charles wrote in
:

On Sun, 20 Jul 2008 02:17:32 +0000 (UTC),
(Dick Adams) wrote:

I plan to sell my house in 2009. The grass, front
and back, is a bad mix of whatever. Rather than
having it torn up and relaced with rolls of grass,
I'd like to tear it up and replace it with plugs
of groud cover. I am completely ignorant of ground
cover and would appreciate suggestions.

Dick

I would think that grass would have better sales value that
some other ground cover. Ask some local realtors for their
opinion. If I were buying and saw something other than
grass I'd wonder about upkeep or the cost of removing it
and replacing it with something else.

yeah, i don't know what i'll do about my "lawn" if we decided
to sell. we've pretty much allowed native groundcover plants
to take over & there's very little actual grass type plants in
the front anymore. the back has more because, well, it travels
from the pasture & hay seeds get dropped, seeds in manure
sprout, etc. so there's grass, but it's not pretty.
the front is mostly wild strawberry, which is a very low
growing plant that stays green in hot dry summer & has pretty
red leaves in the fall. and spreads like crazy... we even
sometimes get strawberries if we can find them before the wild
birds & chickens.

You might try overseeding it with some grass mix selected
to do well in your area, water it well and mow often.

if the house is even remotely suburban, that's probably the
best course, because it takes a few years to establish any
alternative groundcover to the point it looks decent & can
keep weeds down on it's own. selling a house where the newly
groundcovered yard needs constant hand weeding isn't going to
be easy, not that selling *any* house is very easy right now.
lee
--
Last night while sitting in my chair
I pinged a host that wasn't there