Old 20-07-2008, 06:05 PM posted to rec.gardens
Bill[_13_] Bill[_13_] is offline

Default Steer compost in garden

In article
,
Billy wrote:

In article ,
"David Hare-Scott" wrote:

"Billy" wrote in message
In article ,
"David Hare-Scott" wrote:

"paghat" wrote in message

and steer has more
nitrogen and potasium than dairy manure,

Why do you say that? Do they have greatly different diets where you
are?

David

From chicken to zoo doo
http://www.plantea.com/manure.htm

The table in this is based on some other reference that I don't have but it
seems to me to make some assumptions about the diet of the animals. It
says
steer manure (I suppose they mean beef cattle rather than having some
reason
to think that cow, heifer or bull manure is different from that of steers)
has
more seeds than dairy cow. This would only be so if they had different
diets.
I am thinking this table is based on USA practice which includes much lot
feeding. Here you will get dairy cattle on one paddock and beef on the
next
with them both eating the same pasture. Under those conditions I cannot
think
why the manure would be very much different. [As for those diary cows you
would think that a steady diet of paper would alter their output and it is
in
fact so.]

It also seems to assume that "manure" includes bedding (ie straw etc that
has
not been through the beast) This makes a huge difference to composition
compared to the straight stuff.

I thought the bit that said "Washed dairy manure from healthy cows is just
about perfect for garden use" was interesting. Who washes it? What do
they
do with the dirty water? Where do they find the water and the time? The
mind
boggles.

David

One boggle at a time. I looked at several tables and they all reflected
the same data, that steers produce more nitrogen compounds than
dairy cows. Why is left to conjecture, but diets seems a reasonable
guess.

Some where in all these feces there may be best procedure.

I donšt know how to use the following table. Note the issue of time
frame.

http://www.ohioagriculture.gov/oda3/...PPX%20C_TBL%20
6.pdf

I think we are discussing available nitrogen.

http://www.google.com/search?client=...ilable+nitroge
n&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8

Bill a guy that trucked it in covered it with leaves and tilled in
time.

--
Garden in shade zone 5 S Jersey USA