Old 20-07-2008, 10:33 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Omelet[_4_] Omelet[_4_] is offline

Default Questions about pumpkins

In article ,
Frank J Warner wrote:

Years ago my father used to grow pumpkins in his front yard. They'd
grow thick and lush and he'd have enough to eat, put away, and give to
the neighborhood kids for halloween.

I thought I'd try the same thing in my front yard this year but didn't
think I'd have any luck. His yard was rich alluvial soil. Mine is
pretty much beach sand. But lo and behold I've got four great looking
plants spreading over the whole yard with a dozen or more rather large
fruit (?) on them and more on the way; they're still blossoming!

So, two questions:

1. When are they ripe enough to pick and eat? (I know, when they turn
pumpkin color, dummy! But that might not be true. After they turn
completely orange, are they completely ripe, or should I look for some
other sign?)

Wrong. They are delicious as a green squash when they are small and
green!

2. How long can they remain on the vine before they are past their
prime? Do they get woody, lose their flavor, or does other bad things
happen to them if you don't pick them at the peak time?

Many thanks, as usual.

-Frank

--
Peace! Om

until they put their foot down." -- Stephan Rothstein