Old 21-07-2008, 10:24 AM posted to rec.gardens
FarmI FarmI is offline

Default Steer compost in garden

"Billy" wrote in message
"FarmI" ask@itshall be given wrote:
"Billy" wrote in message news:wildbilly-
"FarmI" ask@itshall be given wrote:
"Billy" wrote in message
"Zootal" wrote:

There is a bark place down the road that sells mushroom compost and
steer
compost. Is this stuff good for the garden? Can I use it like
compost
and
heap it on the ground around plants and trees?

Manure should be at least six months old before use.

I disagree strongly with this. I use manure pretty fresh and always
have.
It just depends on where you use it.

and how lucky you feel ;-)
http://www.gov.mb.ca/agriculture/liv.../cwa01s11.html

Luck has nothing to do with it as far as I'm concerned. If you looked
with
any degree of closeness at the chart on that site, you would never garden
if
you were worried about either pathogens or luck. That site says that
Water is a better place for survival of E. coli than manure. No-one I
know can
garden without water, and as David H-S says, the world is a dirty place.
If
ya number's up, it's up as far as I'm concerned and till it's up, I
garden
and I haul fresh manure.

Right, friday night in Australia and what better amusement than a
kickin', gouging, bitin', knock-down, drag-out fight, eh?

What the.......?

Fine, if you
want to load up your garden with fresh manure in the middle or the end
of the growing season, I wish you God's speed.
For anyone who doesn't need to tempt the Almighty for thrills, I suggest
that they keep their shit in a corner of their property, away from those
tasty little plants, for at least three months and preferably four.
By that time UV and micro critters should have rendered it healthy to
use. I never did consider caution a form of paranoia. But then, I'm
older than you;-)

So how old do you think I am? And what has that to do with the use of
animal poop?

However, if you are going to give such advice then I will provide an
alternative thought. If people choose to keep their shit covered in a
corner than perhaps they might also be interested in thinking about and
finding out how "well rotted animal manure" is arrived at and what happens
to the nutrients to reach that stage. I prefer to have the nutrients in my
garden and not in some corner somewhere.