Old 21-07-2008, 09:58 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Jeff Layman Jeff Layman is offline

Default ground control

Emrys Davies wrote:
"Terry" wrote in message
et...
Hi my son as a new garden and is having trouble with weeds and couch
grass. We have tried all sorts of weed killers and even tried sodium
chlorate, the weeds still come through.Thinking about some black
plastic and then covering it with an old carpet he has to get rid
of, is this the correct way round or should it be carpet and then
black plastic??
Thanks for any help
terryp.

You do not say if the weeds and couch grass are growing amongst shrubs
or border plants or simply in an area where they can all be dug up and
eradicated by thorough digging. However, the use of weed killers by
you does indicate that the latter is in order. If that is the case
dig up the offending weeds methodically and remove all of their
roots. Weed killers tend to kill the existing weeds but seeds which
are dormant at the time of the application will germinate and grow
unless you use PathClear which kills vertually everything and
prevents any growth for about twelve months or so.

Recently used Pathclear on passion flower and valerian coming up on edges
and through cracks in a concrete drive. A waste of time. 5 weeks on and
hardly any damage to be seen. May try Roundup (although Pathclear has
glyphosate in it).

Anyone else had poor results from Pathclear?

--
Jeff
(cut "thetape" to reply)