Old 21-07-2008, 06:11 PM posted to rec.gardens
Billy[_5_] Billy[_5_] is offline

Default Lawnmower spark plug black hard to start

In article ,
Erik Vastmasd wrote:

On Mon, 21 Jul 2008 17:16:31 +1000,when reading "rec.gardens", I'm
certain I caught a glimpse of ""YMC" "
saying:

I'm just trying to fix up my mum's lawnmower - its a Honda "Buffalo" model.
Fairly new - but she's hardly used it.

She had problems with it ever since she got it - but only now has she asked
me to help - and the 1 year warranty has expired. lol.

It takes awhile to startup - a lot of pulls - but when it does it keeps on
going.

Seeing it "WILL" run there doesn't seem to be much wrong with it.
I assume it is a 4 stroke mower?

I checked the spark plug - the top end is black with soot. The air filter
seems fairly clean.

A black sooty spark plug could indicate a fuel or mixture problem, I
like to see spark plugs a nice light gray colour.

First off empty out all the fuel in the tank and replace with clean
fresh fuel.

Perhaps try to start it then or even better if you also replace the
spark plug making sure you are using the correct spark plug for your
Mum's Honda lawn mower.

Doesn't the spark plug gap need to be checked?
--

Billy
Bush and Pelosi Behind Bars