Old 08-04-2003, 12:56 AM
zxcvbob

Default toxic soil?

Pat Meadows wrote:
On Mon, 07 Apr 2003 21:05:20 GMT, "len"
wrote:

Does anyone know how long one might expect *untreated*
lumber to last when in contact with the ground?

We're hoping to get raised beds constructed this year, and
I'm trying to compare the advantages of cement blocks vs.
lumber - we can buy either 'landscaping timbers' or regular
boards that are untreated. The 'landscaping timbers' are
about 8" x 8" x 8" - pretty thick - like a railroad tie, but
a bit smaller.

Pat

It depends on what species of wood it is. Cypress, locust, bos d' arc,
redwood heart, and a few others will last a *very* long time. Of
course, you might have to go to a local sawmill to get locust or bos d'
arc.

Cedar might be a good choice, but even with that it depends on which
cedar it is :-/

Or get the cheapest wood you can and plan on replacing it occasionally.

Are there any UV stablized recycled plastic products available? Or do
you live in a rocky area where you can get free small boulders or field
stones?

Best regards,
Bob -- test driving a news client, so this might look weird