Old 21-07-2008, 07:46 PM posted to rec.gardens
Billy[_5_] Billy[_5_] is offline

Default Steer compost in garden

In article
,
"FarmI" ask@itshall be given wrote:

"Billy" wrote in message
"FarmI" ask@itshall be given wrote:
"Billy" wrote in message news:wildbilly-

A surmise perhaps, but not without foundation or precedent.
http://www.csiss.org/classics/content/8

???? I must have missed any reference to humanure in the garden. I
wouldn't recommend it even though the Chinese have done it for 40
centuries.

Shirley

Shirley, who the hell is Shirley?

Fran, you don't mind me calling you Fran, do you? Good.
You don't keep up with cutting edge of American culture?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q3rXK7NhWN8 explains all.
Maybe I should have said Shelia but that doesn't have any resonance here.

(couldn't resist) you wouldn't drink water that was fresh
run-off from a cow pasture. We be talking shit here, I don't care what
animal it came out of.

Yep, we ARE talking shit here, but shit from cattle, not human shit.

I had assumed that as someone who continually tries to educate people to
follow the organic path, you would understand that plants like cattle shit
and in fact all animal shit. Human shit has no place in any domestic garden
and no-one suggested drinking cattle shit.

Oh goodie, your back ;o) and brought your muscle with you( I was
beginning to think that you had one too many Fosters and had gone to the
waller for a nice lie down, now I find you've been prattling on about
taxonomy (let's keep it to Chordata Tetrapoda), while I was talking
about "enteric bacteria - rod-shaped Gram-negative bacteria; most occur
normally or pathogenically in intestines of humans and other animals."
The operative word here is
"pathogenically".

I'm sure that plants do like doo, unless it's too much doo and fries
them.

My point is, my painfully obtuse friend, is that the ingestion of
green doo (be it sipped or chewed) may lead to predictable and avoidable
consequences (you get sick). You should avoid root crops in conjunction
with green doo. Leafy vegetables could be contaminated by rain splashing
doo onto the plant, so either mulch them to eliminate splashing or don't
grow them. Fruiting crops are probably safe; train any vining ones such
as cucumbers or tomatoes onto a support so that the fruit is off the
ground. Thoroughly wash any produce from the garden before eating it.
Or you could just use aged manure and save yourself the trouble of the
doo dos and the doo don'ts.
Or you could doo it Bush's way and just irradiate it, doo and all,
(yumm, yumm) and that would be the end of the problem (they say).

Don't try to obscure the issue with your wiley
Australian pas-de-deux.

Well if by "Australian pas de deux" you mean that David and I are trying to
get you to discuss this topic using logic and/or experience, then I guess
I'd have to plead guilty. It sure beats doing the Texas two step.

Ah, you haven't lived until you've tried "Country Swing".

We were talking cow shit so why suddenly introduce the topic of human shit?

To put a finer point on it, I was stressing (1) the FACT that feces is
a source for pathogenic organisms (see definition above) and (2) this
concern abates after three to four months of dry warmth and sunshine.
See:
http://www.gov.mb.ca/agriculture/liv.../cwa01s11.html

If you would simply engage that dormant organ under your hat, these
conversations would go more quickly ;o))
--

Billy
Bush and Pelosi Behind Bars