Old 08-04-2003, 01:08 AM

Default Need to ID a Pear tree....

yeah, well non fruiting kinds flower at least. they DO take a long time to come into
bearing unless they are on dwarf rootstock. get a good orchard book it will tell you
tricks to get it to come into production. whatever you do, dont prune in spring.
they get fire blight too easily. Ingrid

"JNJ" wrote:

Several years back, I picked up a Pear tree to replace one that my folks had
cut down many more years back. I planted him and he's growing decent, but
he's yet to fruit and he's been in the ground a good 6 years now. The tree
does not flower either.

This was my first foray into a fruit bearing tree and I know it takes a few
years to get fruit, but 6 years seems long enough. I'm starting to think I
may have a non-fruit bearing variety (in spite of what the tag said).

SO, I'd like to ID the variety to confirm whether it is a fruiting or
non-fruiting type. I can take photos to post in the binaries group but
wanted to touch base here first to see what in particular I need to focus on
in the pics so we can definitively ID it.

Suggestions?

James

List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List
http://puregold.aquaria.net/