Old 22-07-2008, 09:49 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.gardens
Mary Fisher Mary Fisher is offline

Default Flying wasp

"Zootal" wrote in message

I find myself more interested in the results then the reasons why. The
value of the life of a human far exceeds the value of a couple hundred
yellowjackets,

Er - what IS the value of a human life and why is it greater than even
one yellowjacket?

Is that a rhetorical question?

No, you brought up relative values :-)

Are you asking why I feel that way?

I wondered why you think you're more valuable than a wasp. Or any creature.
Do you think a mass murderer is of more value than a wasp which has never
done any harm? You see, Mankind isn't perfect. Because a wasp might sting
you you kill complete colonies. I don't think you kill all people because
one might shoot you.

Is it because you do not know the answer to the question?

I don't know the answer to the question but if you told me your opinion it
would be just that, it wouldn't convince me. It's one of the great
imponderables of life.

Or you want to compare how you would answer it to how I would answer it?
To answer a question like that, it helps to know why it is being asked,
and the background of the person asking. Makes it easier to give an
in-context answer that the asker will understand.

As I said, I asked because you raised the matter.

so I will continue to kill them with extreme prejudice. If "killer" bees
are just being extremely defensive, then good for them. I'll still kill
them with extreme prejudice.

And you think that by doing that there will be none left in the
environment?

Hmmmmm ........

OK, now you are just yanking my chain and having fun with me :-)

Not at all. I was genuinely wondering if you thought that you would solve
the 'problem of a potential sting by destroying beautiful, intelligent,
useful creatures.

Mary