Old 22-07-2008, 01:43 PM posted to rec.gardens
Paul E. Lehmann[_2_] Paul E. Lehmann[_2_] is offline

Default Fungal Problem

foxglove77 wrote:

I have had a terrible fungal prioblem in my
garden this year. I think its mainly powdery
mildew that has affected my clematis, of which I
have had to cut down about 5. It has also
affected my honeysuckle, my continus coggygria
or "smoke bush" my rhododendron, and about 3 of
my other shrubs.

I have read that in clematis it can be caused by
too much darkness and moisture, but then in the
same breath that it could be caused by dryness
at the roots, what am I to believe? At the time
I was giving them a thorough watering so
believed it to be over watering. All I can do it
cut all these plants back hard and hope it
doesn't come back again. It seems to be an
epidemic!

Google powdery mildew and milk and you will
information on how to control it and the ratio of
milk and water to use. You can also kill it with
JMS stylete oil.