Old 22-07-2008, 10:42 PM posted to rec.gardens
Kay Lancaster Kay Lancaster is offline

Default Seven dust - Applied a month ago - Still toxic or not ?

"Paul J. Dudley" wrote:
Last month ( mid June ) I had applied Seven dust to my grapevine
due to Japanese Beatle infestation. I applied by hand ( gloved ).
I grabbed a handfull at a time and just tossed it across the whole
of the foliage and grape clusters.

Didn't you read the directions... that's the dumbest method for
applying Sevin.

The dust was given to me in a mason jar by my girlfriends father,
complete with no instructions. Just toss it across the whole of the
vine like he does his peach trees. So that is what I did.

You'll probably take this as more sarcastic criticism, but stories like
this are why I'm not sure most people should be allowed to use other than
a flyswatter as a pesticide.

You accepted an unlabeled jar of unknown chemical of unknown concentration,
with no instructions, and you didn't know how to apply it.

How do you know it was carbaryl, and not, say, Paris green? Or maybe one
of the herbicides? Or flour?

Some day, a stunt like this is going to bite you badly. This might be
that.