Old 22-07-2008, 07:28 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
BAC BAC is offline

Default Wasps nesting inside partition wall

"Vacutone" wrote in message
s.com...
I just noticed that wasps appear to be nesting insdie a partition wall
here-
getting access via an airbrick about 2m above ground level. There is a lot
of
activity- I don't know how long they have been there. I have read that by
the
end of the year a wasps nest in the ground or in a loft etc may be the
size
of an armchair, and would expect that if this is taking place inside a
partition wall, it would achieve about the same overall bulk but be spread
out some metres between the two walls. As far as I can see there is no way
they can get inside the building from the partition. I have read that
wasps
are quite beneficial to the environment and especially the gardener so my
inclination is to leave it be, and try to remember not to run towards the
airbrick shouting and waving my arms and banging things, etc. I think a
wasps
nest is deserted after one season- I wouldn't be quite so keen if I
thought
this was going to repeat year after year.

The question is- can this still go disastrously wrong in some way if I
leave
it there?

I doubt very much whether a wasps' nest in the cavity of a wall will cause
any damage to the structure. You do not need to destroy the nest unless the
wasps cause you a problem. If they do, and you decide to get rid of it, seek
expert assistance.