Old 22-07-2008, 10:28 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sacha[_3_] Sacha[_3_] is offline

Default New web site - finally....

On 22/7/08 15:04, in article , "Emery
Davis" wrote:

Sacha wrote:
It's taken longer to build than Rome but it's out the

www.hillhousenursery.com

Congratulations Sacha (and family).

Question about the Wedding Cake tree. I list this in my plant list as
Cornus controversa 'Variegata',
as does the old RHS reference I have. You list it as C. alternifolia
'Variegata', under the Pagoda Dogwood
rather than the Giant Dogwood.

I have a C. alternifolia 'Winter Orange' that was sold to me under the
name C. controversa, then the nursery
changed the name in their catalog to go along with the prevailing usage.

I wonder if the Wedding Cake tree has gone through a similar
reclassification, and I should maybe change
it in my garden records... I also grow C. alternifolia 'Argentia'
(which is slower growing than controversa),
but it is clearly a different (and finer leaved) plant. But both lovely
in their own way.

cheers,

-E

We've seen both called the wedding cake tree so it's anyone's guess which is
truly which. We're certainly open to correction!

P.S. one comment, if one could search for available plants by genus it
would be even easier to
navigate the site.

If the plant catalogue online gets bigger we may get to that but so far,
people seem to like to browse, rather as they do in the Nursery itself.

--
Sacha
http://www.hillhousenursery.com