Old 08-04-2003, 02:08 AM
Sam Williams

Default [IBC] beech trunk chop? to chop or not to chop....that's the question....

Dear readers,

I have an american beech tree that is about 5 inches in diameter at
the base. It is about 3.5 inches in diameter at about 1.5 ft above the soil
( where i intend on cutting). There is no growth that far up, but there was
last year a few sprigs that I cut off. ( the tree is over 20 ft tall but all
the growth is about 2-3 ft above the soil and up) Now here is my question.
I was told not to cut it completely unless it had some of last year's buds
below the cut. What do yall recomend I do? Do beeches bud back well on the
trunk when trunk chopped? I would appreciate as many responces as possible
because I must get this tree worked on before the buds open. I appreciate
any help!
Sam Williams
( zone 6b-7a Central Virginia,
USA)