Old 23-07-2008, 03:54 PM posted to rec.gardens
Chris[_14_] Chris[_14_] is offline

Default Seven dust - Applied a month ago - Still toxic or not ?

On Jul 23, 9:01 am, "Paul E. Lehmann" wrote:
Chris wrote:
On Jul 22, 7:04 pm, "Paul E. Lehmann"
wrote:
Kay Lancaster wrote:

"Paul J. Dudley" wrote:
Last month ( mid June ) I had applied
Seven dust to my grapevine due to Japanese
Beatle infestation. I applied by hand (
gloved ). I grabbed a handfull at a time
and just tossed it across the whole of the
foliage and grape clusters.

Didn't you read the directions... that's
the dumbest method for applying Sevin.

The dust was given to me in a mason jar by
my girlfriends father,
complete with no instructions. Just toss it
across the whole of the vine like he does
his peach trees. So that is what I did.

You'll probably take this as more sarcastic
criticism, but stories like this are why I'm
not sure most people should be allowed to use
other than a flyswatter as a pesticide.

You accepted an unlabeled jar of unknown
chemical of unknown concentration,
with no instructions, and you didn't know
how to apply it.

How do you know it was carbaryl, and not,
say,
Paris green? Or maybe one
of the herbicides? Or flour?

Some day, a stunt like this is going to bite
you
badly. This might be that.

Why don't you offer constructive advice instead
of
bashing. I would be willing to bet YOU are
equally guilty of being ignorant on a specific
topic equally as hazardous or even more so.

You know, that WAS constructive, but you're too
defensive atm to see
it. Next time you want to use a chemical on a
crop,

1. Make sure it has a label
2. Read the label, so you know the
concentration, 3. Read the instructions, so that
you: 4. Know how to apply it.

Finally, you screwed up. Be an adult, take your
lumps because you
deserve 'em, say "You're right and now I know
better." Don't whinge
about it.

Please tell me HOW I screwed up by advising the OP
to:

1) talk to the folks at Virginia Tech and possibly
submit a sample for their lab to analyze

2) talk to his county agriculture agent and or to

3) get information from the manufacturer.

Some county agriculture agencies have programs for
certification and education on the use of
pesticides and fungicides.

My advice was to get the FACTS and was NOT based
on some knee jerk reaction like those you
expouse.

The world won't always be a
touch-feely warm little place where someone can
make everything ok.

Chris

My mistake. I should have written that to the original poster. You
provided sound advice. Sorry for the mixup.

Chris