Old 23-07-2008, 04:04 PM posted to rec.gardens
Paul J. Dudley Paul J. Dudley is offline

Default Seven dust - Applied a month ago - Still toxic or not ?

On Mon, 21 Jul 2008 15:18:03 -0400, Paul J. Dudley wrote:

Last month ( mid June ) I had applied Seven dust to my grapevine
due to Japanese Beatle infestation. I applied by hand ( gloved ).
I grabbed a handfull at a time and just tossed it across the whole
of the foliage and grape clusters. Here it is mid July and I still
see some rather rich deposits of the dust sitting on the clusters.
As these grapes ( type unknown ) are reaching ripeness they will
no doubt be harvested within the next 2 weeks to make wine. Will
the residual Seven dust pose any health threats at this point ? I've
tried rinsing with a garden hose but to no avail. It is rather "caked"
in some areas. There might have been some moisture on the grapes
when I slung the seven dust causing it to do so.

TIA

Paul

I would like to thank all ( even flamers ) for their replies. Too many
to reply to all at this point ( persons who had questions ) and things
have really gotten totally blown out of proportion.

I have written GardenTech and am waiting their reply. I've been to
their site and now I know that the preharvest interval is 7 days for
grapes. According to them:
Q : How does Sevin control insects?
A: Sevin has a dual mode-of-action - it works on contact and through
ingestion. Sevin is non-systemic, which means it does not penetrate
plant tissue - it stays on the outside. After controlling the
targeted pest, Sevin is easily broken down in the environment.
( http://www.gardentech.com/sevin_fastfacts.asp#11G )
And I will write my local aggie extension service about my situation.

Yes I made quite a few mistakes in my endevour as pointed out by so many.
And yes I did receive a lot of good input and good constructive critism.

As far as polluting the world with my careless recklessness, I will
correct my ways.

Moving to NC from MA I knew nothing about all this pesticide,
herbicide and chemical fertilizer business. Here I found myself
surrounded by crops of all kinds. The food belt.. And when those
around me suggested Roundup around the house and anywhere my
mower can't hit I thought they were crazy or lazy. Pesticides - what's a
few bugs. I tried inventing my own pepper-soap solutions at first. And
chemical fertilizers, no way.

I saw the farmers out there spraying all kinds of stuff on them fields.
It scared me - if I can smell it - I'm ingesting it. Not long after I met
my girlfriend and her daddy - an 85 yo farmer with hundreds of acre
that he still farmed. I ended up helping him on his farm. I never
knew so many chemical odors existed. But that man could make crops.
And that man is 85 yo and still farming ( he still climbs the corral gate
instead of swinging it open ). And it was there that I learned that down
in these parts (Sandhills)them weeds and bugs will take over without the
use of chemicals. And although I haven't totally lost my fear of them, I
began to see them as a necessary evil. And when I check out veggies in
the local markets - I know what I'm eating. Yes I wash my store bought
veggies, but one never knows for sure.

I guess we can put this post to rest now. To the flamers - flame on.
To those who actually wanted to help I thank you all for your input.
If you had questions unanswered I appologize for not answering
( one person asked what type grape - not known. I got the vine 5
years ago from my neighbor who knew nothing about it. He was
trying to get rid of his vine but gave me a cutting. It is a white
variety, takes on a golden hue when ripe and very sweet. Very
prolific producer and quite vigorous. Berries grow to about 5/8
inch when ripe, tightly packed clusters 4 - 8 inches in length.
Early ripening - end of July to mid August. Fruity tasting wine when
semi dry. Not sure what else to add ).

= Paul =