Old 23-07-2008, 04:53 PM posted to rec.gardens
Paul J. Dudley Paul J. Dudley is offline

Default Seven dust - Applied a month ago - Still toxic or not ?

On Wed, 23 Jul 2008 11:20:17 -0400, Bill wrote:

In article ,
"Paul J. Dudley" wrote:

On Mon, 21 Jul 2008 15:18:03 -0400, Paul J. Dudley wrote:

Last month ( mid June ) I had applied Seven dust to my grapevine
due to Japanese Beatle infestation. I applied by hand ( gloved ).
I grabbed a handfull at a time and just tossed it across the whole
of the foliage and grape clusters. Here it is mid July and I still
see some rather rich deposits of the dust sitting on the clusters.
As these grapes ( type unknown ) are reaching ripeness they will
no doubt be harvested within the next 2 weeks to make wine. Will
the residual Seven dust pose any health threats at this point ? I've
tried rinsing with a garden hose but to no avail. It is rather "caked"
in some areas. There might have been some moisture on the grapes
when I slung the seven dust causing it to do so.

TIA

Paul

I would like to thank all ( even flamers ) for their replies. Too many
to reply to all at this point ( persons who had questions ) and things
have really gotten totally blown out of proportion.

I have written GardenTech and am waiting their reply. I've been to
their site and now I know that the preharvest interval is 7 days for
grapes. According to them:
Q : How does Sevin control insects?
A: Sevin has a dual mode-of-action - it works on contact and through
ingestion. Sevin is non-systemic, which means it does not penetrate
plant tissue - it stays on the outside. After controlling the
targeted pest, Sevin is easily broken down in the environment.
( http://www.gardentech.com/sevin_fastfacts.asp#11G )
And I will write my local aggie extension service about my situation.

Yes I made quite a few mistakes in my endevour as pointed out by so many.
And yes I did receive a lot of good input and good constructive critism.

As far as polluting the world with my careless recklessness, I will
correct my ways.

Moving to NC from MA I knew nothing about all this pesticide,
herbicide and chemical fertilizer business. Here I found myself
surrounded by crops of all kinds. The food belt.. And when those
around me suggested Roundup around the house and anywhere my
mower can't hit I thought they were crazy or lazy. Pesticides - what's a
few bugs. I tried inventing my own pepper-soap solutions at first. And
chemical fertilizers, no way.

I saw the farmers out there spraying all kinds of stuff on them fields.
It scared me - if I can smell it - I'm ingesting it. Not long after I met
my girlfriend and her daddy - an 85 yo farmer with hundreds of acre
that he still farmed. I ended up helping him on his farm. I never
knew so many chemical odors existed. But that man could make crops.
And that man is 85 yo and still farming ( he still climbs the corral gate
instead of swinging it open ). And it was there that I learned that down
in these parts (Sandhills)them weeds and bugs will take over without the
use of chemicals. And although I haven't totally lost my fear of them, I
began to see them as a necessary evil. And when I check out veggies in
the local markets - I know what I'm eating. Yes I wash my store bought
veggies, but one never knows for sure.

I guess we can put this post to rest now. To the flamers - flame on.
To those who actually wanted to help I thank you all for your input.
If you had questions unanswered I appologize for not answering
( one person asked what type grape - not known. I got the vine 5
years ago from my neighbor who knew nothing about it. He was
trying to get rid of his vine but gave me a cutting. It is a white
variety, takes on a golden hue when ripe and very sweet. Very
prolific producer and quite vigorous. Berries grow to about 5/8
inch when ripe, tightly packed clusters 4 - 8 inches in length.
Early ripening - end of July to mid August. Fruity tasting wine when
semi dry. Not sure what else to add ).

= Paul =

Basic premise I learned from the early things like VAX notes. With
these electronic communications best practice is to assume you are
writing to your best friend. Some of my friends are idiots and some are
not. Discerning which is which is too much for me who just likes to rub
or bend elbows on occasion. Still if I detect offensive I yield and
help the other go by. Chinese phi lo stuff. Perhaps with a little help
push )

Bill

Bill ... Did you work for DEC ? I started working at DEC in 82 at the
Mill ( Maynard MA ). Worked from 82 - 96 ( got hit by the next to last
wave of layoffs - before the were bought by Compaq ). Began as
a mech designer - left as a Sr Info Sys Spec ( supporting VAX/VMS and
then OpenVMS, Ultrix/UNIX ). Had a heart attack in 95 in the middle
of an ALL-IN-1 trouble call - how rude. Got canned a year later with
the rest of the burnouts and broken down misfits.

Jus' thought I'd ask...

= Paul =