Old 23-07-2008, 05:28 PM posted to austin.gardening
[email protected] ccrane@purdue.edu is offline

Default seed request for rain lilies

Dear austin.gardening group,

With a widespread, significant rain in the offing in your area, I
am seeking seeds of Habranthus tubispathus, also known as Habranthus
texanus or Zephyranthes texana. This is the little copper-yellow rain
lily that will be blooming over the next weekend in lawns and
roadsides. The seeds should be ripe about 18-19 days after
flowering. I would like, if possible, five to 10 mature seed capsules
in separate wrappers, with the locality where they came from. The
seeds will be used in a study of reproduction in this apomictic
species, and possibly to start a mapping population.
You can see photographs of this species at www.google.com, under
the web option, by entering "Habranthus tubispathus".
My address is: Charles Crane, Department of Botany and Plant
Pathology, Purdue University, West Lafayette, IN 47906-2054. I will
reimburse postage plus $5.00 to the first two persons to fill this
request.