Old 23-07-2008, 04:03 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Ariadne Ariadne is offline

Default Wasps nesting inside partition wall

On 22 Jul, 19:48, "Mary Fisher" wrote:
"Muddymike" wrote in message

"Vacutone" wrote in message
ws.com...
I just noticed that wasps appear to be nesting insdie a partition wall
here-

.

The question is- can this still go disastrously wrong in some way if I
leave
it there?

Sounds like good cavity wall insulation to me :-)
Don't know about armchair size, but I once had one in a loft that I could
not pull a dustbin bag over when I took it out. The plan was to pull the
bag over it before cutting/breaking it away from the joist to stop bits
going all over the contents of the loft. This was of course after the
wasps had left, I'm not daft enough to try with them in residence.

Your way is the best. But the shape sometimes determines whether you can put
a bag over it, if it's fixed to joists the nest has to be sawn through and
it means that it's not a nice convenient shape :-)

Mary- Hide quoted text -

I had one once in a hardboard "sealed" hollow above my kitchen
window. I waited until winter, stripped off the hardboard and broke
up the nest. It was about 4' x 6" x 8". I passed it loads of times
every day while it was active and wasn't stung once.