Old 23-07-2008, 07:16 PM posted to rec.gardens
Paul J. Dudley Paul J. Dudley is offline

Default Seven dust - Applied a month ago - Still toxic or not ?

On Wed, 23 Jul 2008 12:27:29 -0400, Bill wrote:

In article ,
"Paul J. Dudley" wrote:

Bill ... Did you work for DEC ? I started working at DEC in 82 at the
Mill ( Maynard MA ). Worked from 82 - 96 ( got hit by the next to last
wave of layoffs - before the were bought by Compaq ). Began as
a mech designer - left as a Sr Info Sys Spec ( supporting VAX/VMS and
then OpenVMS, Ultrix/UNIX ). Had a heart attack in 95 in the middle
of an ALL-IN-1 trouble call - how rude. Got canned a year later with
the rest of the burnouts and broken down misfits.

Jus' thought I'd ask...

= Paul =

At one time in the VAX heyday I could walk down a hall and see a
expert in computer science. This In a large company from Delaware.
My boss told me to take care of making sure folks about the world had
access to RS1. Seems RS1 needed a $. So I was able to grant access to
many folks and I pointed out that LYNX was available at the $. Lynx =
pre graphical interface to the internet. Mexican engineers flipped out
in a joyous manner. Those DEC folks with physicists about did a great
job in removing their need to be around. SAD.
I ran two international newsletters until my bossıs bossıs etc
bragged then a VP of the company said ³What² shut me down as I was just
the lowest level employee. I know what ALL-IN-one is donıt miss it ).

Peter Mroz or Roy Beatty ring a pleasant bell?

Hope the heart is treating you well I know what CABG is.

Bill

I remember lynx very well. In fact I just had to use it the other day
( I use Slackware Linux. I was logged in under my own username the
other day and needed to pull up an html file I had on my W2k partition.
Instead of logging off and then logging in as root, I just pulled up a
terminal window, went to superuser and pulled the file up in lynx ).
Lynx was my first web experience - no more BBS's, no more gopher,
or archie etc. The web was here and DEC had two gateways to the
internet. I couldn't wait to get home to my vt100 and dial in my 300bps
modem, fire up lynx and see what was out there.. ( although most
web sites at the time were computer related in nature and content.
Not much else ).

And "$" command prompt. My handle was "sys$shrink". Reminds me
of a time when I shutdown what I thought was my own system when
I heard beeping going off all over the place and quickly realized I
was logged into a cluster node instead... Shutdown the whole cluster..
I hid under a table.... @sys$system:shutdown ....
( ... boot prompt ).

Peter Mroz or Roy Beatty ring a pleasant bell?

Not familiar. Were they engineers ?

= Paul =

" Those were the days ... ( sigh ).. ."