Old 23-07-2008, 08:42 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Paul P Paul P is offline

Default OT credit card fraud attempt

"Robert (Plymouth)" wrote in message

"Sacha" wrote in message
On 23/7/08 17:18, in article ,
"Martin" wrote:

On Wed, 23 Jul 2008 17:12:35 +0100, Sacha
wrote:

I've just had mine refused for an online payment so checked with my
bank's
security people. It was used to try to 1 penny

to what???

Pay - sorry!

through a particular outlet
as a test so has now been stopped altogether.

Must be a simpleton. Any normal thief would have checked it with a large
transaction.

You'd think so but the bank people didn't seem to think it very unusual.

At least I know the system
works but I wonder if they ever track down who was doing it!

Was your card skimmed in the presence of HRH PoW? )

Ha de ha!

A bit odd that the bank didn't contact you when they blocked your card.

They never do and it's infuriating. The first I know is when it gets
refused and that's very embarrassing!

--
Sacha
http://www.hillhousenursery.com

I had the same on the two credit cards I used at the time. Apparently the
twisters try a 1p purchase on itunes for example, to see if it is valid.
Mine were changed before anything else. I suspect a garage as they are
well publicised as bad risks, so I always pay cash for diesel now

A number of SHELL garages by me were copying cards. Some had even used the
PIN number terminals to intercept the keys being pressed. The anti-tamper
devices
were easily disabled allowing staff that Shell didn't check properly to
steal details.
If you have any fraud - report the garage you were last in. Common things
are dropping
the card, turning around with it, or answering the phone with it in the hand
etc.
All cards can be copied easily, even with chip&pin because the details are
taken
from the magnetic strip. The best thing to do with the magnetic strip is
destroy it
by scraping it or using a nail file. The details required are on the CHIP,
so no need
for any retailer to be using the strip.
B&Q often copy the details on the magnetic strip for a purpose they do not
like
to reveal to the public, but also take payment off the chip itself. Others
such as
Halfords try this on - so keep a close eye.

Chip&pin is just as easy to clone. Make sure you cover the numbers you
press
on any keypad. One Shell garage by me used to have a camera overlooking the
keypad, so I tried to report it and Shell ignored me. Maybe they knew what
was
going on as I doubt many staff have a criminal record check. I've seen
plenty
locked away for fraud.