Old 24-07-2008, 06:06 AM posted to sci.bio.botany
[email protected] plutonium.archimedes@gmail.com is offline

Default yes, chokecherry is a do-able canning fruit July 23, turningpoint for me for year 2008 as far as rainfall

Earlier today I wrote:

I changed my mind on the choke cherries. I am going to try to harvest
them as a juice concentrate.

Forget a juice concentrate but just merely the juice.

Where I add no water and slowly boil the fruit and discard the pits.
So whenever I want a cherry juice
drink this winter, I simply add some concentrate to water.

Have to add some water. Important thing to remember is that the pits
contain
small amount of poison, so never want to swallow or to open the pits.
And do not want to boil for long.

What makes chokecherry work is that I save the mashed parts and put
into
mouth and eat the uncooked flesh and use my tongue to separate out the
pits
and spit them out.

So what makes it all work for chokecherry is that I get some beautiful
purple colored
cherry juice that I use with the currants. And I eat the mashed
remains and use
my mouth as the pit separator.

So this adds up to a positive plus gain, and not a loss of electricity
and time.

Now I am going to experiment to see what the easiest way of separating
the cherry from the pit, whether
mechanically or applied heat.

The human mouth with its tongue is the only decent means of utilizing
chokecherry.

Now chokecherry is easy to pick and harvest for they are massive
drupes of berries. They are
small with a big pit. There flavor is not as good as a sour or sweet
cherry.

I have read that they can contain worms, but have never actually seen
any wormy chokecherry,
but have never looked close enough.

The color of chokecherry juice is one of the prettiest colors I have
ever seen in a fruit for it is a
distinct purple.

Some people have tried to rename them to make them more saleable in
juices by calling them
"wild cherry". I think that is a good idea for commercializing choke
cherry. But I would still retain
their official name of chokecherry since alot of people do not realize
that the pits are poisonous in
quantity. So by the name chokecherry, they may look into it and find
out about the poison pits
which they otherwise would never find out.

Archimedes Plutonium
www.iw.net/~a_plutonium