Old 24-07-2008, 06:39 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
Nil Nil is offline

Default Strange bird behavior

On 24 Jul 2008, willshak wrote in
alt.home.lawn.garden:

http://home.comcast.net/~esionder/temp/birds/birds1.jpg

http://home.comcast.net/~esionder/temp/birds/birds2.jpg

They are Mourning Doves. Mourning because they (sound) like someone
mourning a loss.
They mate for life and always travel together.

Thanks for the clue. I'm sure you're right. I found a description and
pictures here

http://www.birds.cornell.edu/AllAbou...ning_Dove.html

and here

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mourning_Dove

These two are juveniles, and a little while ago an adult came over and
seemed to be harassing them. I thought it was trying to hurt them, but
perhaps it was trying to shoo them back to the nest or encourage them
to forage. And yesterday when this all started, two adults were fussing
with them in an agitated manner. I'm guessing the young ones fell out
of the nest (or maybe the adults pushed them?) and the one was stunned
from the impact. I find it interesting that the siblings are so close
to each other.

I frightened them away, but I won't be surprised to see them back
again. They're kinda cute, but they're crapping all over my deck.