Old 24-07-2008, 11:42 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Duncan Duncan is offline

Default OT credit card fraud attempt

"Sacha" wrote in message
On 24/7/08 13:53, in article ,
"Stephen Wolstenholme" wrote:

On Thu, 24 Jul 2008 12:27:36 +0100, Sacha
wrote:

What we don't understand is why 1p? If you're going to do it at all,
why
not £100 - or more? Either it works or it doesn't!

It could be some test to see if anyone notices the small transaction.
Obviously it failed the test!

Steve

That seems to be what the bank is telling me, yes. Not the sharpest knife
in the box, I must say. Occasionally, we've tested our card machine here
by putting our own cards through it but not for 01p!
--
Sacha
http://www.hillhousenursery.com

Hmmm. 2 months ago a purchase of a plane ticket and subsequent cancellation
appeared on my credit card bill. Card issuer assured me it was "probably a
mistake" and not to worry as I had not lost anything. They also have failed
to change the card as I requested them to do suspecting something fishy like
a card-test as described here.

A few years back, someone bought something online in foreign currency using
details of a card I'd never ever used online. When I phoned the card company
they suggested I log onto the site to check what I'd bought (i.e. I was
effectively being advised to go to the crime scene & incriminate myself)

My experience therefore is of card issuers being niaive and complacent. They
can easily afford to give OUR money to criminals by passing on the cost in
astronomical interest rates, and it won't get better until a card-issuer
goes bust due to fraud (at which point the whole credit card system will
probably crumble)

Duncan

Duncan