Old 23-02-2003, 07:51 AM
Mike Stickney

Default Tall tomatoes

I grow a staking variety of tomatoes on single stems in containers. The
containers stand on a four foot shelf so by the time the plants have grown
six feet it is getting difficult for me to reach from a step ladder. This
year I have untied the plants when they reached the tops of the stakes,
dropped them and run the stems horizantal for two containers and run them up
another stake. I did this a week ago (living in Australia) and they are
doing fine. Hopefully when they reach the top again I will drop them and
reverse back to the original container.Hopefully they will keep on cropping
from the main stem until late autumn.

Has anyone had experience of this system? I saw a picture of a greenhouse
crop grown lilke this and it seems a good way of utilising a small space.

Mike Stickney