Old 25-07-2008, 04:50 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
GM[_3_] GM[_3_] is offline

Default burnt out lawn

wrote:

I agree with your advice. I would only disagree with your use of the
term "burn out". A lawn that goes brown is not necessarily burned.
Burning occurs from excessive fertilization, dog urine, etc combined
with reduced water and usually means the grass is dead. A lawn with
insufficient water will go dormant and turn brown and can last that
way for quite a while and then return to grow again when water is
restored.

Yes, I used "burn out" to mean a lawn that has gone brown. My term,
probably different from the actual technical terminology.

Also, the amount of time a lawn is watered isn't a good measure of
anything. Sprinklers can be equipped with nozzles of any flow rate
and cover any size area. What's important is how much water is
actually being put down.

True. I use basic sprinklers with just one flow setting. I think 2 to 2
1/2 hours works well under such circumstances. One could place a rain gauge
or glass to get a more precise measure of water being put down.