Old 25-07-2008, 05:06 PM posted to austin.gardening
Omelet[_4_] Omelet[_4_] is offline

Default seed request for rain lilies

In article ,
B. Server wrote:

On Wed, 23 Jul 2008 09:28:07 -0700 (PDT), wrote:

Dear austin.gardening group,

With a widespread, significant rain in the offing in your area, I
am seeking seeds of Habranthus tubispathus, also known as Habranthus
texanus or Zephyranthes texana. This is the little copper-yellow rain
lily that will be blooming over the next weekend in lawns and
roadsides. The seeds should be ripe about 18-19 days after
flowering. I would like, if possible, five to 10 mature seed capsules
in separate wrappers, with the locality where they came from. The
seeds will be used in a study of reproduction in this apomictic
species, and possibly to start a mapping population.
You can see photographs of this species at
www.google.com, under
the web option, by entering "Habranthus tubispathus".
My address is: Charles Crane, Department of Botany and Plant
Pathology, Purdue University, West Lafayette, IN 47906-2054. I will
reimburse postage plus $5.00 to the first two persons to fill this
request.

Charles,

I don't know whether the plants I have are the ones in which you are
interested. We have a rain lily in our yard that is a bright, butter,
yellow, rather than copper-yellow. If you are interested, let me know
by reply to this newsgroup and I can supply either seeds as they
become available or bulbs/corms. (I have propogated some of them for
neighbors and friends)

Rgds.

Yellow?

The rain lilies in our area I've seen are all white!
--
Peace! Om

until they put their foot down." -- Stephan Rothstein