Old 08-04-2003, 03:20 AM
Fof

Default Removing lawn to make way for gardenbed?

Hi Sue

Had the same situation, but with very well established couch in heavy clay.

What I did, was to spray the required area with Glyphosate and left it for a
week. I then dug a trench, about 6" deep
and a spade width wide, tossing the soil onto the center. Then went to the
local recycle center and got a trailer load of
compost (7'x6' load for $25) and covered the new bed with a nice thick
layer.

The trench gives me a visual barrier so that I can spot any couch attempting
to get into the new bed and the worms, over
time do all the digging for me.

If you have heavy clay, you could also sread dolomite on before the compost,
and maybe chuck some sand in as well to help
with drainage.

Only 'problem' I have had with this is that some of the plants I put in just
went beserk.

Fof

Anti-spam: replace .com with .org

"Sue" wrote in message
Hi
I want to dig up some more of my couch lawn to extend a garden bed.
Previously I have been digging it out and trying to save as much of the

top
soil as possible. I should add the lawn is only four months old, grown

from
seed and the roots don't go down for miles, YET!! :-)
I guess I am starting to get lazy but was thinking that maybe I could

spray
the area with Zero or similar. Will I be doing the wrong thing in trying
to avoid digging. I would like to be able to replant the area within a
month.
Thanks, Sue Karratha.