Old 26-07-2008, 02:20 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Marie Dodge Marie Dodge is offline

Default Still have whiteflies

"Billy" wrote in message

I haven't used this but the caution was that it is a wide range general
insecticide which is also toxic to mammals. If the nicotine in one
cigarette could get into your body, you would be dead.

Nicotine and Soap Wash.

This is for Aphids, Apple Sucker, Cuckoo Spit, Leaf Miners,
and all forms of young Caterpillars.

Nicotine (96 per cent purity)SS. 1 ? - 2 ? oz.
Soft SoapSSSSSSSSS... 4 oz.
Soft WaterSSSSSSSSS. 20 Gals.

What does SSSSSSSSS mean? I'll get some ciggies from my husband and soak
them. I spent so much on this garden already I hesitate to toss good money
after bad.

Pour the Nicotine into the dissolved soap in the water, and apply as a
fine spray,

BUT

avoid using it on any plants the leaves of which are likely to be cooked
or eaten in less than four or five weeks. The same remark applies to
fruit.

This is our tomatoes and peppers. In a month the toms will be rotten on the
ground if I can't can them in the next few weeks.

Too bad you can't find and dump a bunch of ladybug larvae... IME,
natural predators work better than any pesticides if you can introduce
them in great enough numbers.

I bought lacewing eggs to control scale on my succulents.
Have not seen a scale since. :-)

--

Billy
Bush and Pelosi Behind Bars