Old 26-07-2008, 04:43 AM posted to aus.gardens
Jonno[_17_] Jonno[_17_] is offline

Default Gardening with possums

Norm wrote:
On Jun 27, 6:10 pm, "Rosalie Joy Ballantyne"
wrote:
Hi,

I'm trying to start a new garden and have some resident possums. I'm looking
for some easy care, hardy plants that have low appeal to possums. Any ideas?

RJ

I suspect that gardeners are rarely animal or bird lovers. However, I
would like to point out that possums are Australian
natives and should be allowed their space here. A gardening
acquaintance of mine who lives in a very possum
populated area, not only has their garden surrounded by a chain wire
fence, they also have their compost heap
similarly enclosed. It is just the same as keeping chooks or sheep
etc. You keep them behind a fence.
It is just a case of not letting your potatoes etc wander.

Norm

We are animal lovers, its just we like to have both.
Its a battle of outsmarting the possums when it comes to food.
Some wandering potatoes eh. If we can get them to move fast enough with
genetically modified methods we may even outsmart them..
Maybe if we crossed them with wandering jew we could make a start...