Old 08-04-2003, 03:44 AM
JJ

Default Lawn Tractor Suggestions

Check out the John Deere L100 and L110 (or maybe even L120) models. These
can be found at Deere dealers and also at Home Depot. Deere dealers service
them, even if bought at Home Depot (although the dealer will like you more
if you buy from the them).

http://www.deere.com/en_US/100series/

Without starting a tractor war, my advice would be to stay away from MTD
stuff (Yard Machines, Troy Bilt at Loews, low end Cub Cadets, Huskee, etc.).

"Jonathan Race" wrote in message
rthlink.net...
Greetings!

I have a question for anyone who has been looking around for a new lawn
tractor.

Currently I own two acres, of which about 1.5 acres is mowable grass

(bahia,
I live in central Florida). Recently my Murray lawn tractor's automatic
transmission decided to start leaking, and since it's a non-rebuildable
sealed unit the local repair shop wants $650.00 plus labor to install a

new
unit. The mower is only three years old, but is unfortunately out of
waranty.

I have found a way to keep it filled, but I know the problem will only get
worse before it gets better. The new transmission is a heavier unit and

is
also repairable, but for the money I'm starting to think I should be

looking
for a new tractor.

My question is this: Knowing how much mowing I have to do (1.5 acres

mowed
weekly), what lawn tractor would give me the best service and is

reasonably
repairable for a max budget of $1800.00?

I've done a little looking online, but most of what is posted is

advertising
and it's hard to tell what features I would need based on a manufacturer's
internet site. My current unit has 17hp and a 42" mower deck and seems to
be about the right size.

Thanks for any opinions or advice - Jonathan

--
Acta Non Verba - Deeds Not Words
Lieutenant Jonathan Race, EMS Supervisor