Old 26-07-2008, 11:29 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Rat in compost bin

In article ,
says...
I've got one of those black plastic compost bin (looks a bit like a Dalek -
well, kin of!). I've just put some kitchen waste in and "something" was in
there! I'm sure I saw a tail slither away. Could it be a rat? There is a gap
at the base which a rat could easily get through. If it is a rat is this
"normal"?

Rats will go in, they like the worms but it is also quite possible that
it was a grass snake or slow worm who like to lay eggs in them because of
the heat
--
Charlie Pridham, Gardening in Cornwall
www.roselandhouse.co.uk