Old 26-07-2008, 07:03 PM
Kathryn Selfe Kathryn Selfe is offline
Registered User

We have a number of ducks and used to let the have free roam of the garden, however they will eat anything and they do even frogs and fish. We have now given them their own area, however wild ducks are a different kettle of fish!! you may have to use a similar idea as a fruit cage to protect your crops.

kathryn

www.carreglefn-nurseries.co.uk

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0tterbot View Post
hello.
having now fenced off the veggie garden from the wallabies, we are now
benighted by pairs of wild ducks on the prowl. they enjoy chinese vegetables
and mizuna. isn't that nice?!

wondering if anyone has had successful anti-duck experience. are they afraid
of scarecrows, old cds tied above the crops & flashing in the sun, or any of
those types of methods?

my only idea was to perhaps use bottles to cover the small things, a bit of
net over the bigger things, and just wait them out as they will be down at
the dam breeding soon & i expect they'll back off then. i'm really NOT into
covering any more since i had to net off when we had wallabies - i'm
convinced the netting caused disease because the insect-eating birds could
not get near them - but don't know what else to do.

thank you very much if anyone has ideas or experience.
kylie (the wildlife has us under siege!!!!)
p.s. the household is not armed - so no point suggesting that! believe me,
if we were, we'd be having canard à l'orange every night, and loving it)