Old 08-04-2003, 03:56 AM
Dwayne

Default Need to ID a Pear tree....

Have you had your soil tested? When I lived in Arkansas, the man who did
the gardening show on TV always said to use a "Super Phosphate" to get
trees/plants to flower and fruit. He always recommended one that was at
least 0 - 46 - 0. You might want to try that this year. I think he
recommended putting it on in early spring.

Dwayne

"JNJ" wrote in message
Several years back, I picked up a Pear tree to replace one that my folks

had
cut down many more years back. I planted him and he's growing decent, but
he's yet to fruit and he's been in the ground a good 6 years now. The

tree
does not flower either.

This was my first foray into a fruit bearing tree and I know it takes a

few
years to get fruit, but 6 years seems long enough. I'm starting to think

may have a non-fruit bearing variety (in spite of what the tag said).

SO, I'd like to ID the variety to confirm whether it is a fruiting or
non-fruiting type. I can take photos to post in the binaries group but
wanted to touch base here first to see what in particular I need to focus

on
in the pics so we can definitively ID it.

Suggestions?

James