Old 26-07-2008, 02:50 PM posted to rec.gardens
John McGaw John McGaw is offline

Default Tomatoes

Phisherman wrote:
On Sat, 26 Jul 2008 11:53:50 +0100, "Alistair Macdonald"
wrote:

Ailsa Craig and location Kent England.
I have a couple of dozen plants in an outside plot and they are doing very
well. An overflow I planted in a dozen large clay pots. Almost every fruit
is suffering from a split skin. I am obviously doing something wrong. What
is it?
Alistair

Uneven watering.

Uneven soil moisture is the reason I've always read too. Clay pots would
only exacerbate the problem -- they are great for cacti and other succulent
plants which want to dry out completely between waterings but this would be
the worst possible thing with tomatoes.

--
John McGaw
[Knoxville, TN, USA]