Old 26-07-2008, 01:15 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
mogga mogga is offline

Default Rat in compost bin

On Sat, 26 Jul 2008 11:00:08 GMT, "gavin"
wrote:

"Charlie Pridham" wrote in message
ET...
In article ,
says...
I've got one of those black plastic compost bin (looks a bit like a
Dalek -
well, kin of!). I've just put some kitchen waste in and "something" was
in
there! I'm sure I saw a tail slither away. Could it be a rat? There is a
gap
at the base which a rat could easily get through. If it is a rat is this
"normal"?

Rats will go in, they like the worms but it is also quite possible that
it was a grass snake or slow worm who like to lay eggs in them because of
the heat

So whatever it was I don't need to take any action? Sorry for such basic
questions!

Don't pick it up if it's a ratty!

If you see a lot of rats or get them in the house then you need to
call the pest control, otherwise not. The odd one is fairly normal.

Don't put cooked food in the bin - you need a different sort of
composter for cooked food and bones.
--
http://www.freedeliveryuk.co.uk
http://www.holidayunder100.co.uk