Old 26-07-2008, 01:55 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Gordon H Gordon H is offline

Default OT credit card fraud attempt

In message , Duncan
writes

Hmmm. 2 months ago a purchase of a plane ticket and subsequent cancellation
appeared on my credit card bill. Card issuer assured me it was "probably a
mistake" and not to worry as I had not lost anything. They also have failed
to change the card as I requested them to do suspecting something fishy like
a card-test as described here.

I have never lost money due to any fraud attempts, even though I was a
victim of someone who just walked into two large stores and was given
about £750 credit in each of them. The store cards and bills were
sent to my house! Neither the stores security department, nor
the underwriting bank's fraud department would disclose what proof of
I/D was presented by the fraudster. I was told in the end that
they probably picked my name out of the phone book, even though the
initial was wrong! That did trigger my suspicions towards an
"acquaintance friend of an acquaintance" who had done time for other
more serious offences, put proof would be impossible.
It cost me an interest free 12 months deal on a new computer, and about
15 months extra security on my CC.

If the bank refused to change my CC I would tend to report its loss,
after a suitable interval. ;-)
--
Gordon H